Week 6 - Autodesk Maya - Mirroring and Duplicating

 

Week 6 - Mirroring and Duplicating

This week we learned how to use the mirroring tool and the duplicate special tool. This is especially useful if you're dealing with symmetrical geometry, like shields, which is what I made this week. The task was to create an ancient shield and I actually did 2 of these:
This is my wireframe view of the shield





The 2nd shield I made was textured in Substance Painter, but the 1st shield I made had materials assigned to it in Maya. When creating these shields, I had think about the best way to create a "seamless" look, and in order to achieve this, I used the Duplicate Special tool and followed with the Merge tool to make sure all disconnected/duplicate vertices were connected. I also used the Sot Select tool to create the curvature that both shields needed and I think this worked really well, particularly or the 2nd shield that had more of a layered curve rather than a single, circular curve like the 1st shield.
These tools were way simpler to use than I thought they would be, but there were many things that could have been improved:
  • When adding material to the 1st shield, I could've taken it a step further and added texture to make it look more realistic
  • My geometry is quite sloppy, and I could've fixed this up by even just removing some edges/ vertices and turning the tris into quads.
  • I removed all ngons, but this made my edge-flow quite poor, and I could've clean up my topology to make texturing and UV Unwrapping an easy process.
Overall, I don't think it's a terrible attempt at creating a symmetrical shield, but I do believe as my skills develop, I could vastly improve these pieces.

Comments